White Bloomer Bread
500g Strong White Bread flour
Sachet of fast-action yeast (7g)
1 1/2 teaspoon caster sugar
2 teaspoons salt
300ml warm (not hot) water
3 tablespoon olive oil
- Mix the dry ingredients together (ideally using a kitchen aid if you have one)
- Then slowly add the water and oil, whilst still mixing the ingredients together, until it combines to form a stick dough
- If you're using a kitchen aid, turn it up to medium speed and allow to knead for about 10 minutes, or until the dough is smooth, elastic and springs back to your touch. If you don't have an electric mixer, cover a clean surface with flour and knead by hand for about 10 minutes, again, until it's smooth, elastic and springs back to your touch.
- When the dough is ready transfer it to a clean and lightly oiled large bowl and cover bowl with cling film. Leave in room temperature area for about an hour and a half, until it almost doubles in size.
- When it has risen, knock the air out by giving it a quick knead then you need to shape it into the knotted circular shape.
- To do this, cut the dough into three pieces and plait it so you have a long plaited piece of dough, then push the two ends together forming a circular piece of plaited dough.
- Put the dough onto a lightly floured tray, cover with a damp tea towel and allow to rise again for about 30 minutes.
- Then place it into a pre-heated oven (set to 200 degrees) for about 20 minutes, until golden on top. To test if it's ready, turn the loaf over and tap the bottom, if it sounds hollow, your bread is ready!