Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies
For the Cookie:
- 280g plain flour
- 40g cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 170g butter, melted
- 29ml red food colouring
- 1 large egg plus yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 250g light brown sugar
For The Filling:
- 100g icing sugar
- 20g butter
- 75g full fat cream cheese
- ½ tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 160C and line a tray with baking parchment.
- Mix the flour, bicarb of soda, salt and cornflour in large bowl
- Using an electric whisk, beat together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs and then the vanilla essence.
- In a small bowl mix the cocoa with the red food colouring until a paste is formed. Add two tablespoons water to loosen the paste.
- Add paste to egg mixture and whisk until well combined. Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until it comes together as a dough
- Cover with cling film and put in fridge for 2-3 hours to rest
- Remove from fridge and roll into balls (about 2 tablespoons per ball) then roll the balls so they resemble a cylinder, higher than they are wider.
- You’ll need to cook in batches as the cookies will spread as they cook. Place 6 balls of the dough on the tray, keeping them well apart.
- Leave in oven for 20 minutes. They will continue to cook out of the oven so don’t worry if they look undercooked. Leave to cool for 10 minutes on the tray then move them to a wire rack to continue to cool.
- Whilst the cookies are cooking make the sandwich filling. Cream together the butter and cream cheese and sift in the icing sugar until well combined. Add half a tablespoon milk to loosen the mixture.
- Once the cookies are totally cool, spoon a teaspoon of the cream cheese filling onto the underside of one cookie and sandwich together with another cookie. Continue until all cookies have been sandwiched together.