Nutella & Almond Swiss Roll
For the sponge:
- 100g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 100 plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
For the filling and topping:
- 2 tablespoons nutella, soft
- 150g finely chopped almonds
- Pre heat oven to 180C and line a baking tin with parchment. Rub a small amount of butter over the parchment and lightly dust with flour.
- Whisk together the eggs and sugar for 10 minutes until the mixture has tripled in size and become very pale and light.
- Very carefully sift in the flour and baking powder in three stages. Fold in after each addition being very careful not to knock out any air.
- Pour into your baking tin and move tin around so the batter gets into all the spaces.
- Put in oven for 20 minutes or until light golden and just firm to the touch.
- Whilst the cake is in the oven set a damp cloth on your surface and cover with a sheet of baking parchment. Cover the parchment with the nuts and lightly sprinkle with caster sugar.
- When your cake is ready remove from oven and turn out onto the nut covered baking sheet, top down. slice off all the edges (these will be harder then the rest of the cake so if you leave them on your roll will crack easily).
- Cover cake with your nutella and get ready to roll! Use the baking parchment to guide your rolling, take it slow and be very careful.
- Once you've reached the end ensure the roll is lying on the crease. Leave it in the parchment to cool and then turn out onto a dish ready for it to be demolished by anyone in the near vicinity!