Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes
For the fudge sponge:
- 250g plain flour
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 110g unsalted butter
- 80ml vegetable oil
- 300g caster sugar
- 150g dark chocolate
- 100ml milk
- 150ml water
- 2 large eggs
For the butter icing:
- 50g softened butter
- 500g icing sugar
- 50g dark chocolate, melted and cooled
- Preheat oven to 160C and line two muffin tins with cupcake cases
- Put a large pan on low heat and add the butter, oil, sugar, chocolate, milk and 150ml water. Stir the mixture continuously to avoid burning. The mixture is ready when the chocolate has melted and the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda. Using a whisk, whisk in (whisking means it is less likely to form lumps) the slightly cooled chocolate mixture (it doesn't have to be totally cool but cool enough that it won't cook the eggs that you're about to add). Whisk in the eggs one at a time.
- Pour mixture into a measuring jug and then pour into the cupcake cakes so they are 3/4 full.
- Bake for 25minutes or until the skewer comes out clean. Remove cakes from muffin tin and allow to cool on wire rack.
- To make the butter icing begin by melting the 50g chocolate in a bain marie. Set aside and allow to cool completely.
- Using an electric whisk beat the 50g softened butter and slowly add in sieved icing sugar until the mixture is pliable. Stir in the cooled chocolate mixture. If the chocolate is still at all warm it will melt the butter so it becomes too liquid. If this happens put it in the fridge for 15minutes.
- Spoon icing into piping bag fitted with medium sized star nozzle and squeeze onto the cooled cupcakes in big swirls.