Zesty Lemon Drizzle Cake
For the Lemon Sponge
- 170g plain flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 170g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 195g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
For the drizzle and icing:
- 6 tablespoons caster sugar
- 60ml lemon juice
- Icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a 22cm loaf tin with baking parchment.
- Whisk together eggs and milk and add vanilla essence
- In large bowl add flour, sugar, lemon zest, baking powder and salt.
- Beat in the butter to the dry ingredients with half of the egg mixture. Once well beat in, add the remaining egg mixture and beat some more.
- Pour the cake batter into the loaf tin and put in oven for 50 minutes, or until light brown on top and springs back at the touch.
- Whilst the cake is baking mix together the lemon juice and 6 tablespoons of sugar until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove cake from oven and prick all over with a fork. Carefully pour over half the lemon sugar syrup and leave cake to cool.
- Add the icing sugar to the remaining half and once the cake is cool, pour over the top.